Driller (Environmental Contractor)
Looking for an environmental driller for our Redstone Arsenal (RSA) project in Huntsville, Alabama. Responsible for all aspects of the drilling operation including but not limited to direct push technology soil and groundwater sampling; hollow-stem auger drilling for geotechnical data collection; environmental soil sampling; and monitoring well installation. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Department Manager.
- Operate hollow-stem auger and direct push technology drilling equipment at job sites in a safe and efficient manner.
- Understand and perform all tasks necessary to complete a project’s scope of work. Activities include, but are not limited to, obtaining subsurface soil, soil gas, and water samples, and installing groundwater monitoring wells using hollow-stem auger and direct push technology equipment.
- Inventory drilling equipment and materials on a monthly basis; order replacements as needed (with manager approval).
- Perform daily maintenance inspections on equipment and preventative maintenance as needed to ensure they are in good/safe working condition for project completion.
- Provide onsite coordination with client in the absence of a Site Supervisor.
- Train, mentor, and oversee field personnel in tasks associated with the project’s scope of work and all aspects of job site safety.
- Some positions operate a variety of equipment: Hnu, concrete saw, jackhammer, pressure washer, generator, trash pump, cutting torches, welding equipment, air knife, compressor, forklift, skid steer and attachments, track probe, truck-mounted geoprobe, CME 55, CME750.
- Load trucks and other job preparation activities; assist others as needed.
- Mobilize to and from project job sites.
- Setup job, complete load lists, and perform on-site work.
- Verify public and private utility locates have been completed and are appropriately marked before performing any work.
- Assist with subcontractor management, health & safety oversight, and paperwork.
- Meet project budgets set by Department Manager.
- Perform daily record keeping and reporting of time/hours billed, expenses, and daily sheets.
- Work safely and within EFS standards on safety practices; maintain safety as a top jobsite priority; report all incidents and/or near misses.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); some activities performed in Level C PPE with respirator.
- Utilize equipment and vehicles in the proper manner; maintain in a clean and good working order after each use.
- Inspect and perform routine preventative maintenance on equipment and vehicles; report broken or damaged equipment to Department Manager.
- Maintain shop in a clean and organized manner.
- Complete timesheets correctly and turn in on a weekly basis.
- Code Visa statements correctly, attach all receipts, and turn in on time.
- Maintain a professional and clean appearance.
- Provide great customer service (be personable, respectful, and helpful to clients).
- Be on time.
- Cleanup job sites (leave the way you found it).
- Perform work to maintain assigned productivity/billable goal.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Requires 3 years of drilling experience and a high school diploma or equivalency; the ability to read and write in English, follow verbal instructions, and perform basic mechanical operations. Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
OSHA Hazwoper (40 hour) certification, Class A CDL driver’s license, and/or mechanical or environmental certifications are a plus.
This classification requires the use of a personal or company vehicle on company business. Some company vehicles are a standard transmission (stick shift). Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license, and have an acceptable driving record.
This classification requires 50% or more travel to various client locations resulting in longer work days; and may include extended and/or further travel, resulting in multiple days and overnights. Long distance drives and air travel may be required. Travel can extend for a week up to a month’s duration at a time.
All candidates must have a successful completion of a pre-employment background check, drug screen, and receive a medical clearance from a baseline physical. EFS performs regular, random drug screens on DOT drivers.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Hollow-stem auger and direct push technology drilling equipment.
- Understand utility locates and the potential of utilities in the workplace.
- Hazards inherent to the environment and safety measures to be observed including exposure to hazardous wastes (detailed in Health and Safety Plan).
- Calibrating and using various types of field equipment.
- Equipment and machinery mechanics.
Skill in the following is a plus:
- Mechanical troubleshooting and repairs.
- Vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- Understand and follow verbal instructions in the English language.
- Read, comprehend and interpret written material in the English language such as standard operating procedures, Material Safety Data Sheets, and job specifications.
- Learn job-related material primarily through verbal instruction, training, reading, researching and observation in an on-the-job setting.
- Document and organize while working on multiple projects.
- Accurately measure and document distances using a tape measure or other measuring device.
- Work out doors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Work in small, cramped areas.
- Travel across rough, uneven or rocky surfaces to access equipment.
- Climb ladders or steps where equipment is located, to reach objects on shelves, or to monitor machinery and equipment.
- Move heavy objects (50 -100 pounds or more) short distances (20 feet or less).
- Bend or stoop repeatedly or continually over time to make adjustments to equipment.
- Work closely and support others in a team environment.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Environmental Field Services, Inc.
40 West State Road 32
Westfield, IN 46074
Posted Date: 5/28/2013